There can be a big difference in the freshly squeezed orange juice and frozen orange juice or juice brought from the store. However, we all admit that the juice is better to be prepared at home as the store juices always contain some amount of preservatives in them.
The best time to drink orange juice is just after it is squeezed out of the orange. Only then the juice remains freshest and tastiest. If you are using a citrus press to make the orange juice then it will last for 3 days. But for that, you have to refrigerate it. But if you are using a centrifugal juicer then it is best to have within 24 hours or at the most within the next 2 days. As the fruit gets heated up in the centrifugal juicer, the shelf life of the juice will be affected.
We love to store orange juice in the fridge for the later uses and we all know the moment when we sniff it and find something ominous in the smell of it. It turns even worse when you drink a large amount and then find it has almost turned as sour as vinegar. So here we will discuss how fast orange juice turns bad and what precautions should we take to last the juice long.
- To keep the juice fresh you must use a good container. The question of the freshness of juice depends largely upon the condition of the container. How you store the juice makes a great difference on the length of period for staying it fresh.
- You better use a covered glass or plastic container to keep the freshly squeezed orange juice in the refrigerator.
- If you keep the refrigerator on continuously then the fresh orange juice in a glass container will stay fresh for 2 to 3 days.
- You can also freeze the orange juice to last it longer. This will extend the shelf life of the orange juice. If you are unsure of how to freeze it, keep it in an airtight container and leave at least headspace in the container. This will give the juice to expand while freezing.
- If you are worried of how long can your fridge keep the juice fresh, then we would say, if properly stored and froze, the juice can last as long as 3 to 4 months in best quality, and will remain safe for the time beyond.
- If you are planning to freeze your orange juice, then you must keep the temperature of your freezer to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. This will surely keep your juice safe for a longer period and with the best quality intact.
- How can you freeze and thaw the juice later, if you are thinking it, then we are here with the answer. Freshly squeezed juice that has been defrosted can be kept for an additional two to three days in the refrigerator. Later you can use it. If you thaw it in the microwave or in cold water it will be ready to use immediately.
- If you are unsure that the frozen orange juice is still good or not, then the best way is to smell and look at the freshly squeezed orange juice. If the juice starts developing an odour or it is somehow different in colour or appearance and in flavour, then mould may have appeared in it or some bacteria has started growing. It definitely should be discarded.
Also, check the oranges at the time of juicing them out, if the oranges have turn softer and sour, then you cannot expect tasty juice out of them. In any case, you should drink your fresh orange juice within next 3 days.